Devotional for Wednesday November 11th

Good Morning Everyone,
 
Our theme for this month: “Be Thankful”
 
Our Bible verse for today: “We always thank God for all of you, making mention of you constantly in our prayers.” 1 Thessalonians 1:2 (CSB)
 
Our thought for today: “Thank a veteran”
 
Today is Veteran’s Day. It’s the day each year that we as a nation have set aside to give thanks for and show appreciation to all those who have served in our Armed Forces. It’s different from Memorial Day. Memorial Day is in May and it is a day to remember those who gave their lives in defense of our nation. Veteran’s Day honors all those who have ever served in the military.
 
Despite our many problems, the USA is still a beacon of hope and promise for the rest of the world. We have the most effective and equitable system of government in the world; the fairest justice system; the strongest economy; the highest standard of living; the highest quality healthcare; and we are the most generous nation in the world. We are still the land of opportunity, and that’s why millions of immigrants flock to our shores every year looking for a better life.
 
America is exceptional among the nations of the world, which is why so many other nations strive to copy the American system. But we also have enemies. Not only is the USA loved, but the USA is also hated. China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, and others hate us and seek to do us harm. It’s our military that deters our enemies and keeps the homeland safe. But at any given time, there are fewer than 1.3 million men and women serving on active duty in all branches of the military. That’s .5% of the population protecting 99.5% of the population. Additionally, of the 328 million citizens of the USA, fewer than 22 million are veterans. That’s 7% who have given some number of years of their lives to safeguard the other 93%. And, of the 535 members of Congress (100 Senators and 435 members of the House of Representatives), only 18% have ever served in the military.
 
I encourage all of us to take some time this morning to thank God for those who have sacrificially served our nation by means of military service. Then go and actually thank a veteran personally.
 
God Bless,
Pastor Jim
Copyright © 2020 Oak Hill Baptist Church, All rights reserved.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: